Submitting Personnel Actions- as of June 3, 2019
The eServe Workforce Portal
Changes occur throughout an employee’s career with the University. There are a variety of requests that can be submitted through the eServe Workforce Portal to update faculty, staff, student, and temporary worker employee records and process activity related a change during employment including promotion, transfer, hours change, supplemental pay, non-Medical Leaves of Absence, etc; and a separation from the University.
Paper PAFs and Concierge
Per internal audit we can no longer accept paper PAFs for active employees. Paper PAF's should only be sent for Hiring certain employee types (POIs, Recurring Affiliates, Joint Appointments, Post Docs). Corrections to Paper PAFs that have already been submitted should be done via a new PAF. Emails or phone calls are not accepted. Concierge requests should not have Paper PAFs attached, but should include the same details that would have been provided on a PAF, but not an actual PAF form.
Please make sure to send a separate email for each Concierge Personnel Action, for speed and accuracy of processing, as the email will be part of the Employees' records.
- Supplements can be sent in by Approved Submitters if you are unable to find the payee's name in the eServe Workforce Portal due to not having access to that payee's Home Department. The details needed would be: Empl ID, Name, Effective Date, Gross Up? One Time or Multiple Pay Periods? Amount, Earnings Codes, Labor Distribution, and Remarks
- There are other rare circumstances in which you will not be able to locate a name (example if the person is on a Restricted List) in which case you can also submit a Concierge Request for other Actions, including Changes or Separations.
- There are also certain actions that can not be done in the eServe Workforce Portal, which can be Concierge Requests: FLSA (change from Semi to Weekly or Vice Versa) Changes, Involuntary Separations for Faculty End of Contract/End of Limited Term, or Faculty Medical Leaves.
Note there is not Concierge Service for Student Requests that can be processed through ePAF for Students/Temps.
Authorized Submitters and Approvers
Some Tufts administrators and supervisors are authorized to submit and/or approve requests for personnel actions through eServe. If you are an authorized submitter or authorized approver you will have access to the Workforce Portal on eServe. Through the Workforce Portal you will be able to submit and track requests you have submitted, as well as approve requests submitted by others. If you believe you should have access to the Workforce Portal, please get in touch with your Department Manager or Executive Associate Dean (EAD) and send a completed Application for PeopleSoft HRMS to TSS. Please check off one of the roles on the right hand column of the application for Workforce Portal. The left hand column is for ePAF/Time Entry/Time Tracking and should be used if you also (or only) want to have Hiring and/or Time Entry functions.
If an individual set up as an approver should be removed we would need the EAD approve the removal, or to advise what other workflow role they should be in.
Workflows and Approvals
When a personnel action is submitted via the eServe Workforce Portal, an automated, online approval process (approval chain) is initiated that ensures that appropriate administrators and supervisors review and approve the requested changes. Each required approver will be notified in turn via email and can approve the request via the Workforce portal. If you have submitted a request, you can review its approval status at any time by using the Review Requests tile on the Workforce portal.
Many different types of employment changes can be requested via the Workforce Portal including the changes listed below. See the associated job aids for detailed instructions and the required approvals.
- Transfer to Job – Job Aid. Note this should not be used when someone is going from one Employee Type to another unless it is Faculty-Staff or Staff-Faculty (Other changes, such as Post Doc to Faculty, Staff to Temp, Student to Staff/Temp, etc. require a Separation followed by a Hire once the Separation has been fully processed through the system)
- Change Job – Job Aid - Updating a person's department, supervisor, location, title and/or FTE/Hours. The date can be retroactive. If the change is to FTE/Hours and is retroactive, please check with TSS first, as the Pay will likely also be changed (see below re: Retroactive Pay change)
- Change Pay and Labor – Job Aid - This job aid is intended to guide you through the online process for a Change Pay and Labor transaction, which could include changing an employee Timekeep, Pay Rate, and /or Labor Distribution . NOTE For any and all labor entries, including entries that primarily aren't labor but include labor, if a labor entry exists for that date a new labor entry will error. The labor system only permits 1 entry per day. As of 12/10/19 there is a temporary technical issue being worked on in which you may get an error that Location is required when trying to enter a Job Change that does not involve a Location Change. The workaround is to choose "Yes" to the question "Are you changing Location" and then just re-enter the current Location.
Pay Rate Change requests can only be with an effective date that is on or after the current pay period. If you need to make a Pay Rate Change request prior to the current pay period, please get in touch with TSS, who will advise whether or not the change can be made through the Workforce Portal.
Retroactive requests for Labor Distribution Changes are allowed within the current Quarter/Reporting Period. If your requests for Labor Distribution Change has an effective date outside of the current Reporting Period, then get in touch with TSS and provide the Employee Name, Pay Period, Amount, Original Dept ID and New Dept ID and TSS will advise how to proceed. In addition to processing the Retroactive Labor Distribution through the Portal, for Retroactive Labor Related to Hourly Work Study Students, please contact Student Services. If you have already made your Labor Change in the system, but do not see it reflecting on your Effort Reports, please contact TSS to research the Retroactive Adjustment.
*For Medical Leaves for Faculty, contact your OFA, who will submit the necessary details (type of Leave, expected start/end date, continuous or intermittent) as a Concierge request for the Leave via email to TSS (Faculty Medical Leaves cannot be entered via the Workforce Portal)
- Make Timekeeper – Job Aid - This job aid is intended to guide you through the online process for a Make Timekeeper transaction that is initiated by an approved submitter.
- Supplemental Pay – Job Aid
- Non-Medical Leave of Absence (Academic, Non-Academic, Semester, Summer) – Job Aid *
- Non-Medical Return from Leave of Absence – Job Aid * The Return from Leave should still be submitted even though the Leave includes an Expected Return
- Name Change – Job Aid
For Medical Leaves for Staff, contact firstname.lastname@example.org (Staff Medical Leaves cannot be entered via the Workforce Portal)Batched Requests (minimum of 15 transactions and maximum of 500 transactions) for Department Change, Location Change, One-Time Supplemental Pay, and Summer/Semester Leaves may be submitted to TSS using the templates available in the Workforce Portal- Batched Requests. Changes from Non-Exempt to Exempt Status or from Exempt to Non-Exempt Status
When changing a Staff member's FLSA status from non-exempt to exempt (hourly to salaried) or from exempt to non-exempt (salaried to hourly), after having a conversation with Human Resources regarding the change in status, please get in touch with TSS to initiate the Change, rather than submitting an online request through eServe. TSS will need the effective date and the new semi-monthly or weekly rate. Note that for Students, this type of change can be made through ePAF, by first Terming one Job and then entering the new Job.
Joint Appointments for Faculty and Postdocs can be requested via the Workforce Portal. See the associated job aids for detailed instructions and the required approvals.
- Joint Appointment: Job Change – Job Aid
- Joint Appointment: Pay and Labor Change – Job Aid. For any and all labor entries, including entries that primarily aren't labor but include labor, if a labor entry exists for that date a new labor entry will error. The labor system only permits 1 entry per day.
Separations from the University can be requested through the eServe Workforce Portal. Voluntary Separation requests can be initiated by authorized department admins and OFAs, but will not be fully processed until the Resignation Letter is emailed to TSS (except for Students/Temps). NOTE: separations will be processed prior to the payroll run to avoid overpayment, but they are not processed by T2 immediately upon receipt, but rather just before the applicable payroll run
. Involuntary Separations and Layoffs can only be initiated by HR Business Partners. See the associated job aids for detailed instructions and the required approvals.
- Voluntary Separation – Job Aid (incl. Accepted Other Employment, Relocation, Resignation, Return to School, Retired). NOTE: the resignation letter and vacation hours(if being paid out) should be emailed to TSS@tufts.edu. This is not required for Students or Temps.
- Involuntary Separation – Job Aid (incl. Contract Expiration, End of Limited Appointment, Job Abandonment, Job Protection Expired, Not Eligible to Work, Death, etc.) Must be processed by HRBP except FACULTY Contract Expiration or End of Limited Appointment, which can be processed by emailing TSS with details
- Separation - Layoff – Job Aid
ePAF will continue to be used, without changes, for hiring functions for faculty, staff, students, and temporary workers. You may access ePAF via a tile in eServe. See the Knowledge Article on ePAF for more information.
Hiring Faculty, Staff, Student Employees, Temporary Employees, POIs, Recurring Affiliates, Joint Appointments, Post Docs
Note that ePAF for students and temps can be used for payrate changes, Labor Distribution or Terminations.
Paper New Hire PAFs will continue to be used for hiring POIs, Recurring Affiliates, Joint Appointments, and Post DocsNew Hire form for Post Docs
New Hire form, for POI or Recurring Affiliate
for Joint Appointments Corrections to Paper PAFs that have already been submitted should be done via a new PAF. Emails or phone calls are not accepted.