PAF PROCESS - Replaced with Online Workflow in eServe as of June 3rd, 2019. See Knowledge Article: Submitting Personnel Actions- as of June 3, 2019 Changes occur throughout an employee’s career with the University. There are a variety of Personnel Action Forms (PAFs) available to update faculty and staff employee records and process activity related to initial employment; a change during employment including promotion, transfer, hours change, leave of absence, etc.; and separation from the University.
Please see below for the different processes for staff/faculty, students, and temporary employees. ePAF –Students/Temporary Employees and Staff/Faculty HIRE:Once a student/temporary employee has been selected, the ePAF is used to complete the hiring process and for all future student employment activity including Pay Rate Changes, Labor Distribution, and Terminations. See the Knowledge Article on ePAF for Students/Temps for further information. ePAF is also used for Staff and Faculty in the following circumstances only: 1) Staff Labor Distribution Changes 2) Staff hired by Recruiters and 3) Faculty hires once the Faculty Information System (FIS) is equipped with this functionality.
PAF Process –Staff and Faculty (except HIRE)
The Personnel Action Forms (PAFs) for all staff and faculty follow a similar approval process. These PAFs are usually completed by the department, require approval of a department/supervisor, and can be sent to TSS by an "Authorized Submitter" only. Once the PAFs arrive at TSS, they may be triaged for review by Human Resources for certain actions or to The Budget Center if the impact of the PAF is beyond a specific dollar threshold ($2,500).
TSS processes the information for all Staff and Faculty Changes**, Separations, and Supplemental payments into the PeopleSoft HR system.
TSS also processes Hires and Rehires for Post Docs.
Staff Hires are processed by Recruiters through ePAF.
Faculty Hires and Rehires are processed by Faculty Affairs and Department Administrators through FIS/ePAF.
**Labor Distribution changes can also be processed by authorized individuals via ePAF. PDF PAF forms have been created which allows for completing on the computer - no longer will anyone be required to print out and sign in ink. These new PAF forms can be found online – select one of the following links to the forms: New Hire form for Post Docs
New Hire form, for POI or Recurring Affiliate
Supplemental Pay form
Job Data Change form
Summer Leave form.
Directions for completing the forms can be found here. Once a form has been completed, the Initiator (Indicated as “Prepared By” on the PAF) may ask the Department Head and/or Faculty Affairs to affix their digital signature to the document (if signatures are required by the school or division). Then the PAF should be emailed to the school or division’s designated PAF “Submitter”.
All PAFs will be submitted by a designated Submitter to TSS.
When a PAF is sent to TSS from a designated Submitter, it will create a case in the same ticketing system (Salesforce) already used for tracking service requests and other questions. This will allow for tracking where the PAF is in the process, and allow Submitters to be notified via email when the PAF has been processed.
There are a couple of notes to the PAF process:
- Staff new hires and rehires does not change – they will still be done by a Recruiter via ePAF (note if an offer is withdrawn or if a candidate cancels an acceptance of an offer, the Recruiter will need to submit a Separation PAF to TSS)
- Faculty new hires and rehires will be done by Faculty Affairs or Department Administrators via ePAF
- Leaves of Absence – staff members’ FMLA and other medical leave PAFs no longer require a PAF to be submitted. Instead, the staff member should contact email@example.com directly to initiate medical or FMLA leaves of absence or to process a return from medical or FMLA leave. Leaves will notify the employee’s supervisor about the leave.
- *Labor Distribution Changes* can also be handled by designated local research administrators, approved Department Administrators, or Post-Award/OVPR (formerly SPA). For more information, please refer to this knowledge article.
- Submitting more than one PAF at the same time - If you have more than one PAF to be submitted at once, you can do so. However, please note that each PAF will need to be reviewed and processed separately, so they may show up as completed at different times. For better tracking, we recommend that you submit only one PAF per email. When submitting the same type of PAF for 5 or more people, there are bulk templates available for the following (click on the link to download a copy of the template): supervisor changes, location changes, timekeep changes, summer leaves, labor distribution changes (for employees who are 100% not on grants) and supplemental pays for vet incentives.
Submitters of PAFs can look up the status of any PAF they submitted by going to the Tufts Support Services home page and selecting the My Requests tab, or they can run the PAF Process Report in Tableau. Initiators of PAFs can see the status of any of the PAFs where they are listed as the initiator by running the PAF Process – Initiator Report in Tableau. Supervisors can see the status of any PAF for the employees that report to them by running the PAF Process – Supervisor Report in Tableau (with the exception of new hires and any bulk spreadsheet submissions – they will need to check with the Initiator or Submitter to find out the status of those). If you do not have access to the Tableau PAF Process reports, please contact TSS to request access.
Please refer to the new PAF Process FAQ document for more information. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact TSS.
Corrections to PAFs already submitted should be completed through a new PAF.