TSS - Guest/Student Travel Overview

Guest/Student Travel Overview

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 0) Show Properties
First Published  :Thu Sep 18 17:52:44 GMT 2014
Last Modified  :Fri May 10 15:28:30 GMT 2019
Last Published  :Fri May 10 15:28:30 GMT 2019
Summary :  Providing information about travel reports and arrangements for non-employees.


Primary Information

    Frequently, the university is required to pay the travel expenses for non-employees, such as current or perspective students and guest speakers.  All non-employee travel must adhere to established university policies and procedures.    Departments must obtain a Travel Authorization Number (T-Number) for all non-employees and arrange travel through existing university agencies (call TSS).  Doing so minimizes the out-of-pocket expenses of the non-employee and provides the university with additional financial oversight.  The university also has local hotel properties (near all three campuses) that will bill Tufts directly further reducing the out-of-pocket costs incurred by the student or guest.  For more information about these hotel properties, please see the Tufts Travel Portal or the Purchasing Web Site.  All non-employees needing to be reimbursed should continue to do so using the paper Travel Form. 
    For existing Tufts students, to be treated as a reimbursable business expense the student must incur the cost while on university business.    Students who are “active participants” (i.e., traveling to conferences to represent Tufts or present a paper) are considered to be traveling on behalf of the university and can be reimbursed.   Similarly, individuals/groups that are traveling as part of a formal student organization or club are considered to be on university business.  Students traveling to a conference as a means of advancing their personal knowledge are deemed to have received a travel scholarship and should be paid via a Check Voucher (see link for check voucher) form as opposed to a Travel Expense Form. 

    Before you submit a request for Student/Guest Travel or Business Reimbursement  to be processed, please write the Supplier ID on the document (if you know it). Otherwise, please submit the document to TSS with the Payee Name and Email Address and we will make sure the Payee is in the system/invite through Paymentworks if needed.  Click here for a link to PaymentWorks.


Related Information



    Non employee, non-employee, travel, student, guest travel, booking travel, travel expenses