TSS - Travel Authorization and T-Numbers

Travel Authorization and T-Numbers

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 0) Show Properties
First Published  :Thu Sep 18 18:01:42 GMT 2014
Last Modified  :Fri Mar 24 14:23:08 GMT 2017
Last Published  :Fri Mar 24 14:23:08 GMT 2017
Summary :  information about arranging travel for students and guests


Primary Information

    Travel Authorization

    Prior to traveling, all university travelers must receive the approval of their direct supervisor or financial/budget officer. Individual schools/units can determine how this authorization is obtained, that is, they can require a simple verbal approval between the traveler and their supervisor or develop a more formalized process. The university’s on-line travel expense system, e-Expense (See: Obtaining Access to e-Expense), provides the functionality to obtain the travel authorization electronically. Please see the e-Expense user guide for instructions on creating a Travel Request. Individuals who travel without prior approval may be held personally responsible for any expenses they incur.


    It is recommended that departments obtain a Travel Authorization Number (T-Number) for all non-employees (Students and Guests) or employees who don't a Travel Card, who travel at Tufts and arrange travel through Tufts Travel Agencies (See: Tufts Travel Agencies, Hotel & Rental Car Contracts). Doing so minimizes the out-of-pocket expenses of the non-employee and provides the university with additional financial oversight.  The university also has local hotel properties (near all three campuses) that will bill Tufts directly further reducing the out-of-pocket costs incurred by the student or guest. 

    Obtain a T-Number

    Complete the Travel Authorization/Advance Form in Excel- Authorization and planning of travel and prepayment.  Send to TSS, attention Travel Department.

Related Information



    T number, non employee travel, student travel, travel request in e-expense