TSS - Suppliers (Vendors) in PeopleSoft:

Suppliers (Vendors) in PeopleSoft:

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 0) Show Properties
First Published  :Thu Sep 18 18:58:36 GMT 2014
Last Modified  :Mon Nov 05 20:36:37 GMT 2018
Last Published  :Mon Nov 05 20:36:37 GMT 2018
Summary :  Information pertaining to adding a supplier to our financial system for payment purposes.


Primary Information

    In order to make a payment or place an order with a supplier, the individual/company must first be added to PeopleSoft Finance system. The requirements differ depending on status.

    Verifying Whether a Supplier/Individual exists in PeopleSoft

    Before you can pay a supplier, you need to be sure a supplier exists in PeopleSoft.  To verify whether a supplier exists in the system, contact tss@tufts.edu.

    Please note that individuals are in PeopleSoft with the last name,first name (Doe,John).  Once a supplier exists in PeopleSoft, they will be available in eREQ.  If you cannot see a supplier in eREQ, it may be because it does not yet exist in the system or because it is inactive.  If inactive, please ask to REACTIVATE the vendor (a new W9 IS needed).

    Adding a New Supplier/Individual

    US Citizen, US Company, or Resident Alien

    • Fill out a W9 Purchasing (aka VCF) if a purchase order will be issued (vendor certification for corporations or independent contractors)
    • Fill out a W9-AP for payments via check vouchers to individuals for Honorariums, Stipends, Scholarships, Fellowships and awards.
    • Send documents to TSS.

    International Individual

    • To add an individual that is not a US Citizen, US Company, or Resident Alien, whether the work is being done in the U.S. or abroad, most often you would fill out the W8BEN Also submit the Alien Payment FormIf the work is being done outside of the US, no additional forms are required.  However, if the work is being done inside the US, B1 visa holders or individuals present under the Visa Waiver program are required to compete the B1-Attestation Form and J-1 Visa holders (not sponsored by Tufts) require a "release letter."  The letter must come from the designated officer at the international office at their sponsoring institution.  
    • Although Tufts strongly recommends non-residents obtain a U.S. tax identification number (a SSN or ITIN), payment can be made without one.  Such payments are fully taxed at a 30% rate.  Reduced rates and/or exemption under a tax treaty are not allowed.  An Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is obtained by completing IRS Form W-7.  By having the ITIN you may be taxed at a lower rate and/or can file a tax return and potentially get the money back. Contact the international office at Tufts for assistance in applying for a SSN or TSS for obtaining an ITIN. See What is an ITIN article for more information.
    • See also the matrix in the corresponding article for payments to Non-Resident Aliens.  

    International Supplier/Company

    Modifying a Supplier

    Address, Email Address, Bank Account or Form of Payment
    If a supplier address needs to be modified, the Vendor Change Form must be completed and returned to TSS. Contact TSS to obtain the form.
    Supplier Name/Tax ID or Status change
    If the Supplier/Individual has a name or tax id change a new form (W9 or W-8BEN-E ) is required.  Please see above “Adding a new Supplier” for guidance on which form(s) need to be filled out by the Supplier along with the Vendor Change Form. Contact TSS for the applicable forms.

    Inactive Suppliers
    TSS will only automatically deactivate a Supplier if set up for "One Time Payment" or if there is no activity for an extended period of time (3+ years). In order to reactivate the Supplier, please notify TSS of your request and resubmit the applicable forms.


Related Information



    vendor, supplier, new vendor, vendor address change, e-req, not listed, not in system, add, modify, can't find vendor, setup vendor in peoplesoft, supplier payment type query