Tufts University recognizes the following days as University holidays:
- New Year’s Day - January 1*
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day - third Monday in January
- President’s Day - third Monday in February
- Patriot’s Day - third Monday in April
- Memorial Day - last Monday in May
- Independence Day - July 4*
- Labor Day - first Monday in September
- Columbus Day - second Monday in October
- Veteran’s Day - November 11
- Thanksgiving Day - fourth Thursday in November
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve - December 24**
- Christmas Day - December 25**
* When these days fall on a Sunday, the holiday will be observed on the following Monday; when they fall on a Saturday, the holiday will be observed on the previous Friday.
** When Christmas Eve and Christmas Day both fall on a weekday, employees will receive both days as holidays.
Exact days for each holiday vary by year- see the HR website for specific dates for each calendar year: https://access.tufts.edu/time-off
Regular, full-time employees receive pay for University holidays, without any waiting period. Regular, part-time employees will receive pay only for the holidays which occur on the days they are regularly scheduled to work.
Non-exempt employees who are required to work on a holiday will be compensated at time and one-half for hours worked on that day, using code OT- 102. In addition, such employees will receive either another day off in the same workweek OR a day's pay at the normal rate. So, in essence, it is 2.5 times pay for the hours worked if no other day off during the same workweek is allowed. Otherwise, it is 1.5 times pay for the hours worked and time off in the same workweek, equal to the number of hours worked.
The policy on holiday scheduling and holiday pay may not be applicable to departments that operate on a six- or seven-day work schedule. You should consult your Department Head if you are employed in a unit with such shift assignments.
If you take an unexcused absence the day before or the day after a holiday, you will not receive pay for that holiday. Exceptions may be made for approved absences.
If a University holiday falls during a leave of absence, the employee will not receive Holiday pay. Whatever earnings code is being applied should also apply for that day (example, if on Extended Illness Pay, that Code will apply for the Holiday as well).
The University recognizes the right of employees to observe the holidays of their religion. At the employee's discretion, time taken for this reason may be considered vacation time, personal days, or absence without pay. Employees should discuss religious holidays with their supervisors well ahead of time, so that the supervisor can prepare for the employee’s absence from the workplace.
Note: Faculty time off varies by school. Please see the faculty administration of your school or the Provost's office for more information.
Please visit the Tufts HR website for a list of University Holidays, and see the Employee Handbook for information on the University’s policy for time off on holidays.