This information applies to the FSA/Dependent Care FSA Program for 2016, administered by Crosby Benefits. Please see the Knowledge Article for EBPA FSA/Dependent Care FSA for more information on 2017 BenefitsFlexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Flexible Spending Accounts allow you to set aside a portion of your pay on a pre-tax basis to pay for eligible medical, dental, vision, child care and elder care expenses. The money you contribute to these plans reduces your taxable income, thereby reducing your taxes. For 2016, you may set aside up to:
- $2,550 per calendar year for health care expenses, and
- $5,000 per calendar year for dependent care expenses per family (please see specifics below under Note). All requests for reimbursement of Health Care and/or Dependent Care expenses incurred during 2015 must be made to Crosby Benefits Systems by April 30, 2016. Once enrolled in a Health Care and/or Dependent Care FSA Account for the 2016 plan year, you will be sent a letter from Crosby Benefit Systems, Inc., which will provide information on how to set up an on-line account and use the Health Care Flex Debit Card. Contact information for Crosby Benefit Systems, Inc. is located on the sidebar. You will be required to verify that your child(ren) is/are under age 13. See Dependent care expense descriptions for a summary.
- The FSA is a “use it or lose it benefit” with the exception of the $500 rollover amount described below for health care expenses. This does not apply to Dependent Care FSA.
- IRS guidelines permit employees to carry over $500 of any amount remaining unused in the Health Care FSA to the following plan year, even if an employee chooses not to enroll for an FSA account the next calendar year. This does not apply to Dependent Care FSA which must be used or lost.
- The IRS allows employees additional time after the calendar year ends (up to April 30th) to submit requests for eligible expenses incurred during the prior calendar year.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR TRANSITION FROM CROSBY TO EBPA FOR 2016-2017
Please see the Benefits section of the Tufts HR website, as well as the Summary Plan Description, for more information on Flexible Spending Accounts available to eligible employees at Tufts.
- Crosby Benefits will administer all 2016 Health FSA and Dependent Care FSA claims up until the run out period is over – April 30, 2017 (Crosby cards will not work after 12/31/2016 so these claims can be submitted manually or online: You may submit claims via Crosby’s website at www.mycrosbybenefits.com, by fax at 978-367-9626, by USPS at PO Box 25172, Lehigh Valley, PA, 18002-5172 or if you have questions about your claims, you may call 1-866-918-9711.)
- EBPA will administer all Health FSA and Dependent Care FSA claims effective January 1, 2017
- Crosby will transmit to EBPA any eligible FSA (not Dependent Care FSA) carryover funds from 2016 up to $500 as of April 30, 2017 regardless of whether you have signed up for 2017 FSA.
- EBPA will load your Benefits Card with eligible carryover funds by May 30, 2017. New in 2017, EBPA will also load Benefits Card with Dependent Care funds (note that FSA funds are loaded upfront/all at once, but Dependent Care funds are accrued and if the cost exceeds what is accrued on the card, you must pay and submit a claim). Or if you are not enrolling in EBPA for 2017, EBPA will send you a Debit Card anyway with your carryover funds from Crosby.
Note: a mid-year election may be made if a significant change to cost for elective contributions is imposed by the dependent care provider who is not a relative of the employee. Otherwise, election is during the university's open enrollment period or within 31 days of hire date. The IRS limit on health care FSA is per person, not per family - however the dependent care FSA is limited to $5000 per family (assuming filing a joint tax return).
All active, regular employees at the University are eligible, provided that you are an exempt or non-exempt employee regularly scheduled to work 17.5 hours or more a week, with a minimum 90 days employment period.
All post-doc scholars at the University are eligible if they meet the below requirements:
- Postdoctoral Scholars holding twelve-month appointments may contribute to the Tufts University Health and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), however they must have a Social Security Number and pay U.S. taxes in order to take advantage of the FSA programs.
Tufts Benefits sends our enrollment/eligibility files to all vendors every Tuesday, with the exception of EyeMed (this file is sent every other Tuesday). It does take the vendor at least 24 hours to process our files before they have the information in their systems. Thus, if an employee tries to sign into the Crosby system without success, it could be a timing issue. Cards are mailed within 10 business days of the vendor receiving enrollment. Vendor Contact Information:
Crosby Benefits Systems
27 Christina Street
Newton, MA 02461
Crosby FSA help line: 1-866-918—9711
- For Reimbursement Account Related Questions/Submissions:
- For All Other Services (Non-Reimbursement Account) Questions/Submissions:
- Email (for all service types):