Staff (non-faculty) Tuition Reimbursement Program
Rate this Article
First Published :Mon Dec 01 19:32:13 GMT 2014
Last Modified :Tue Apr 18 04:00:51 GMT 2017
Last Published :Tue Apr 18 04:00:51 GMT 2017
Reference for current benefits eligible, full-time Staff employees who have inquiries about the tuition reimbursement program at Tufts.
Audience: Benefits Eligible Staff
Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program Overview:
Eligible Full-time Staff Employees will be reimbursed for 100% of approved tuition costs up to a maximum of $4,000 in a fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th).
Allowable Reimbursement Costs:
-This program reimburses eligible employees only for tuition expenses not covered by any other source of educational assistance.
Cost Not Covered:
-A loan which must be paid back by the employee is not considered financial aid.
Books, supplies and fees are not covered.
- Charges for lab, registration, graduation, library or student activities are not covered under this program.
Acceptable Courses and Schools:
All Tuition Benefit Applications are subject to approval by the Tufts Shared Services HR Department. The following job-related courses and or programs are examples that are potentially eligible for reimbursement under this program:
- Regular courses taken for credit at accredited schools, colleges, and universities.
- Courses credited toward a high school diploma or equivalency certificate.
- Correspondence, university extensions, or continuing education courses.
- Courses at certain non-accredited institutions provided they are widely recognized in their field and
- Grant degrees or certification indicating satisfactory completion.
- Review courses and examinations for initial trade or professional licenses or certifications.
- Job related degree programs to current position, or for a related course in preparation for advancement in current field. (including approved elective degree courses)
The following do not qualify for tuition reimbursement:
- Professional seminars and workshops.
Approved course(s) and or program(s) are not to be taken during regular working hours. Class attendance should not conflict with your job in anyway.
Taxation of Reimbursement
Tuition reimbursement payments not considered taxable income
Eligibility in the Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program is based on the following criteria. You should:
- Hold an Active Employment Status with Tufts University.
- Be a Regular / Full-time Staff Employee with Tufts University.
- Have completed one year of full-time service before the course begins.
To apply for the Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program, please complete a Tuition Reimbursement Application and send it to Tufts Support Services HR Department. The application must be received fifteen (15) days before you enroll or make a financial commitment. The following three items are required for the application to be considered complete:
- A completed Tuition Reimbursement Application (with supervisor’s signature).
- An Official Course Description (found in the institution’s brochure/catalog).
- Verification of the Tuition cost (p/credit hour or per course) listed on the completed application.
Requests for reimbursement will be processed and returned to the employee within a reasonable processing time. After processing is complete, reimbursement will be included in the employee’s paycheck. The date of the actual reimbursement will determine the fiscal year to be affected.
Employees should complete the Request For Payment form and submit the form to Tufts Support Services within 60 days of the completion of your course. In addition to the form, please submit the following information:
- Proof of payment of tuition charges (i.e. canceled check, student account statement from institution, etc.).
- Proof of Satisfactory Course Completion.**
**Satisfactory Course Completion means that the employee has achieved a passing grade or course certificate. These documents will be used as verification for course completion. Without the required attachments, a Request for Payment Form(s) will not be processed.
Tuition, reimbursement, courses offered at other institutions, educational assistance