Job Movement within the University (for staff, not faculty)
The University encourages employees to make full use of their talents, skills, and potential growth within the University. No employee will be adversely affected as a result of expressing an interest in another job opening. University employees are encouraged to complete one (1) year in their current position before pursuing other job opportunities at Tufts.
A promotion is a change from one position to an open position at a higher pay level and is normally accompanied by an increase in salary. The major criterion used in the promotion process is the demonstrated ability of the applicant to perform satisfactorily in the new job. The decision to promote will be made after considering factors such as competency, growth and development, demonstrated ability to take on new responsibility, experience, potential for growth, seniority, and affirmative action goals.
In some situations, the result of a promotion may not prove to be satisfactory to either the employee or the University. For this reason, there is a standard probationary period, during which time both the employee and the supervisor have the opportunity to evaluate the new situation. If expectations are not met, every reasonable effort will be made to find the employee a more suitable position at the University.
Transfers: A transfer is a change of assignment from one position to another in the same pay level, and may occur within the same department or between departments. A transfer may result from a request made by either the University or an employee and may be initiated for various reasons. Such transfers may occur, for example, in order to develop the career of an employee, or to provide an employee with the opportunity to work in an area where the employee’s full potential can be realized. Transfers may also be made when a position or job is to be phased out, as with the end of a sponsored research project.
Movement to a Job of a Pay Level
An employee may be moved to a job at a lower pay level based on a personal request, reorganization, inability to perform, or reevaluation. In some circumstances an employee's pay may be reduced to coincide with the new responsibilities, internal pay equity, or pay level. Because the University is committed to fair and equitable treatment, the supervisor and employee must discuss any action of this nature with a HR Business Partner.
Tufts encourages employees who are looking to advance their careers to apply for job opportunities within the University by visiting the Tufts University Career Center. Employees should click on one of the two options below “Current Tufts Employees Only” so that employees are identified as internal candidates.
The process for internal applicants at Tufts is as follows:
- If an employee is interested in an internal position, the first step is to apply online at the Tufts University Career Center.
- After applying on line, the employee should contact the Human Resources Office on the campus where the job is located and identify himself or herself as an internal candidate who has applied for a position on that campus.
- A Human Resources Representative will contact the employee to discuss the basic requirements for the job. The Human Resources Representative will answer any questions the employee may have and help the employee assess if he or she meets the appropriate qualifications for the position.
- If the employee meets the basic requirements, the employee will be invited to interview with the hiring manager.
- The employee is encouraged, but not required, to notify his or her current supervisor before interviewing with the hiring supervisor for the new position. If an employee is identified as a finalist for the position, the employee’s current supervisor will be contacted for a reference. The employee will be given the opportunity to speak to the current supervisor prior to the reference check.
Please visit the Employee Handbook for more information on job movement within the University. You can contact the HR Offices for direct inquiries.
Tufts Support Services Contact Information:
62R Talbot Ave
Medford, MA 02155