TSS - Submitting Personnel Actions-new as of June 3, 2019

Submitting Personnel Actions-new as of June 3, 2019

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 0) Show Properties
First Published  :Tue May 21 17:05:34 GMT 2019
Last Modified  :Wed Nov 13 17:19:11 GMT 2019
Last Published  :Wed Nov 13 17:19:11 GMT 2019
Summary : 


Primary Information

    Submitting Personnel Actions- as of June 3, 2019

    The eServe Workforce Portal

     Changes occur throughout an employee’s career with the University. There are a variety of requests that can be submitted through the eServe Workforce Portal to update faculty, staff, student, and temporary worker employee records and process activity related a change during employment including promotion, transfer, hours change, supplemental pay, non-Medical Leaves of Absence, etc; and a separation from the University.

    Paper PAFs
    Per internal audit we can no longer accept paper PAFs for active employees. Paper PAF's should still be sent for Hiring certain employee types (POIs, Recurring Affiliates, Joint Appointments, Post Docs). Any Concierge requests, including Supplements, Changes, Separations, 
    FLSA (change from Semi to Weekly or Vice Versa) Changes, Involuntary Separations for Faculty End of Contract/End of Limited Term, or Faculty Medical Leaves should not be on a Paper PAF but just detailed in an email to TSS.  

    Authorized Submitters and Approvers

    Some Tufts administrators and supervisors are authorized to submit and/or approve requests for personnel actions through eServe. If you are an authorized submitter or authorized approver you will have access to the Workforce Portal on eServe. Through the Workforce Portal you will be able to submit and track requests you have submitted, as well as approve requests submitted by others. If you believe you should have access to the Workforce Portal, please get in touch with your Department Manager or Executive Associate Dean (EAD) and send a completed  Application  for PeopleSoft HRMS to TSS.  Please check off one of the roles on the right hand column of the application for Workforce Portal. The left hand column is for ePAF/Time Entry/Time Tracking and should be used if you also (or only) want to have Hiring and/or Time Entry functions.
    If an individual set up as an approver should be removed we would need the EAD approve the removal, or to advise what other workflow role they should be in.


    Workflows and Approvals

    When a personnel action is submitted via the eServe Workforce Portal, an automated, online approval process (approval chain) is initiated that ensures that appropriate administrators and supervisors review and approve the requested changes. Each required approver will be notified in turn via email and can approve the request via the Workforce portal. If you have submitted a request, you can review its approval status at any time by using the Review Requests tile on the Workforce portal.

    Personnel Changes

    Many different types of employment changes can be requested via the Workforce Portal including the changes listed below. See the associated job aids for detailed instructions and the required approvals. 
    • Transfer to Job – Job Aid. Note this should not be used when someone is going from one Employee Type to another unless it is Faculty-Staff or Staff-Faculty (Other changes, such as Post Doc to Faculty, Staff to Temp, Student to Staff/Temp, etc. require a Separation followed by a Hire)
    • Change Job – Job Aid - Updating a person's department, supervisor, location, title and/or FTE/Hours.  The date can be retroactive.  Before doing so please have constituent check with TSS first.
    • Change Pay and Labor – Job Aid - This job aid is intended to guide you through the online process for a Change Pay and Labor transaction to change a Tufts employee Timekeep, pay rate and labor distribution . This will be initiated by an approved submitter
    • Make Timekeeper – Job Aid - This job aid is intended to guide you through the online process for a Make Timekeeper transaction that is initiated by an approved submitter.
    • Supplemental Pay – Job Aid
    • Non-Medical Leave of Absence (Academic, Non-Academic, Semester, Summer) – Job Aid * 
    • Non-Medical Return from Leave of Absence – Job Aid *  The Return from Leave should still be submitted even though the Leave includes an Expected Return
    • Name Change – Job Aid
    *For Medical Leaves for Faculty, contact your OFA, who will submit the necessary details; For Medical Leaves for Staff, contact leaves@tufts.edu

    Batched Requests (minimum of 15 transactions and maximum of 500 transactions) for Department Change, Location Change, One-Time Supplemental Pay, and Summer/Semester Leaves may be submitted to TSS using the templates available in the Workforce Portal- Batched Requests.  

    Changes from Non-Exempt to Exempt Status or from Exempt to Non-Exempt Status
    When changing a Staff member's FLSA status from non-exempt to exempt (hourly to salaried) or from exempt to non-exempt (salaried to hourly), after having a conversation with Human Resources regarding the change in status, please get in touch with TSS to initiate the Change, rather than submitting an online request through eServe. TSS will need the effective date and the new semi-monthly or weekly rate. Note that for Students, this type of change can be made through ePAF, by first Terming one Job and then entering the new Job.


    Joint Appointments

    Joint Appointments for Faculty and Postdocs can be requested via the Workforce Portal.  See the associated job aids for detailed instructions and the required approvals.
    • Joint Appointment: Job Change – Job Aid
    • Joint Appointment: Pay and Labor Change – Job Aid


    Separations from the University can be requested through the eServe Workforce Portal. Voluntary Separation requests can be initiated by authorized department admins and OFAs, but will not be fully processed until the Resignation Letter is emailed to TSS. NOTE:  separations will be processed prior to the payroll run to avoid overpayment, but they are not processed by T2 immediately upon receipt.  Involuntary Separations and Layoffs can only be initiated by HR Business Partners. See the associated job aids for detailed instructions and the required approvals.
    • Voluntary Separation – Job Aid (incl. Accepted Other Employment, Relocation, Resignation, Return to School, Retired).  NOTE:  the resignation letter and vacation hours(if being paid out) should be emailed to TSS@tufts.edu.
    • Involuntary Separation – Job Aid (incl. Contract Expiration, End of Limited Appointment, Job Abandonment, Job Protection Expired, Not Eligible to Work, Death, etc.) Must be processed by HRBP except FACULTY Contract Expiration or End of Limited Appointment, which can be processed by emailing TSS with details
    • Separation - Layoff – Job Aid

    Hiring Faculty, Staff, Student Employees, Temporary Employees, POIs, Recurring Affiliates, Joint Appointments, Post Docs

    ePAF will continue to be used, without changes, for hiring functions for faculty, staff, students, and temporary workers. You may access ePAF via a tile in eServe. See the Knowledge Article on ePAF for more information.
    Note that ePAF for students and temps can be used for payrate changes, Labor Distribution or Terminations.
    Paper New Hire PAFs will continue to be used for hiring POIs, Recurring Affiliates, Joint Appointments, and Post Docs

    Additional Resources



Related Information



    PAF, Job Aides, Separations, Changes, Workforce, Portal Personnel Actions,limited appointments,extensions