A Blanket Order (also known as a Standing Order) is a term contract or basic agreement between the University and a supplier. It is issued to a specific supplier to address recurring low dollar purchases of consumable supplies or services, for a specific period of time. A Blanket Order is issued to support an existing contract, or independently, after all terms and conditions have been negotiated.
GUIDELINES FOR ALL BLANKET ORDERS
A Blanket Order should be used when the ordering department/cost center will:
- Purchase repetitive, specified services or items, or categories of items from the same supplier; which are purchased and paid in a predictable manner during a certain time period, usually one (1) year
- Order standard materials or maintenance supplies which require numerous shipments
- Enable the buyer to obtain more favorable pricing through volume commitments
Blanket Orders generally should not be used when:
- The primary purpose is, to provide an open line of credit with a supplier
- Prices are unknown at ordering time, or subject to change later without notice
- Quality of the supplier and/or services are questionable control over the University expenditures would be weakened significantly
It is recommended that prior to requesting a new Blanket Order [April-May]; the ordering department should review the existing Blanket Order for any changes.