TSS - Obtaining Copies of Tax Forms: 1099, 1042S

Obtaining Copies of Tax Forms: 1099, 1042S

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 0) Show Properties
First Published  :Thu Sep 18 17:27:21 GMT 2014
Last Modified  :Wed Apr 07 02:11:06 GMT 2021
Last Published  :Wed Apr 07 02:11:06 GMT 2021
Summary : 


Primary Information

    The process of obtaining copies of tax forms differs depending on the type of tax form and the individual’s nationality or role (student, staff, etc.)

    1042-S and 1099 Forms

    Each year Tufts is required to report certain payments to Nonresident Aliens on a 1042-S form and US Residents/Citizens/Suppliers on a 1099 form to the IRS.  1099 forms are normally mailed by January 31 for the reportable payments in the previous year; 1042S forms are due to the recipient by 3/15.

    1099:  A Form 1099 is for U.S. citizens and Green Card holders who receive “non-payroll income” from Accounts Payable, such as rents, royalties, honorariums and subject study payments. A 1099 is NOT sent for scholarships/fellowships nor for SMFA Art Sales.
    A 1099 is generated when compensation is greater than or equal to $600 (some, such as rent or royalties, have a lower threshold). Vendors who are "Incorporated" do not receive a 1099. Vendors paid by PCard will also not receive a 1099 from Tufts.

    1042S:  The 1042-S Payroll is issued to Foreign Nationals for wages exempted under a tax treaty.  No taxes are withheld. 
    The 1042-S A/P is for any  Foreign Nationals who receive “non-payroll income” whether subject to tax and/or exempted by a treaty.  Examples include scholarships*, fellowships* and honorariums.  Accounts Payable will issue one 1042-S form per income code and the form will indicate the tax rate  for that code (e.g. 0%, 14%, 30%, or others). *There will NOT be a 1042-S if the Scholarship/Fellowship is for "outside the U.S." since it is not considered U.S. Source Income.

    If you need a copy of your 1042s PAYROLL or if you are receiving a 1042S from BOTH PAYROLL AND ACCOUNTS PAYABLE, your 1042S form is available through FNIS. Log into FNIS, the secure Foreign National Information System website at:https://fnis.thomsonreuters.com/tufts 

    For a copy of your 1099 or for a 1042S AP, Contact TSS for assistance.

    Please note that Tufts cannot provide advice or assistance in completing tax forms.  The International Center has Sprintax Tax Prep software to assist you filing your tax return with the Federal and State Governments.  The International Center will email Access Codes to the eligible users by March. Once the user has the Access Code, he/she can register to use the software at https://global.tufts.edu/international-center/taxes-and-social-security/tax-preparation-and-assistancesprintax.  If a user did not receive the Access Code, please direct him/her to the International Center.

    Additional information about the Sprintax Tax Prep software is located on the International Center website (https://global.tufts.edu/international-center/taxes-and-social-security/tax-preparation-and-assistancesprintax).  The International Center and Tufts Support Services are not in a position to offer tax advice.  If you have specific tax questions or concerns, you will need to contact a tax professional (either a Certified Public Accountant or Tax Attorney).  Other tools to assist you in filing your taxes are the Internal Revenue Service website (www.irs.gov) and the Massachusetts Department of Revenue website (www.mass.gov/dor).

    Form 1099HC questions should be directed to Tufts Health Plan not Tufts University. If you are enrolled in a Tufts University Health Plan and have a form 1099-HC question, please contact Tufts Health Plan at (844) 516-5790 Or you can go to https://tuftshealthplan.com/microsites/tufts-universityOnce logged in, click on the link ‘View/Update your Tax information" under the ‘What would you like to do’ section.  The 2018 1099-HC will be available for download by January 31, 2019.
    See also "What is Form 1095-C and 1099-HC"?


Related Information



    1099, 1042, 1042S, Form, student tax, outside service, consultant, tax document, foreign tax, FNIS