TSS - Are Receipts Required for Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement?

Are Receipts Required for Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement?

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 0) Show Properties
First Published  :Thu Sep 18 18:05:47 GMT 2014
Last Modified  :Mon Feb 28 22:18:57 GMT 2022
Last Published  :Mon Feb 28 22:18:57 GMT 2022
Summary :  For business and travel expenses, what receipts are required


Primary Information

    Unless a traveler is using per diem for meals and incidental expenses, receipts are required for travel and business expenses.  To decrease the administrative burden, receipts are not required for transactions when the Tufts Corporate MasterCard is used AND if the expense is less than $50.  However, please be mindful that:

    • For lodging, receipts are required for any amount;
    • For grant travel, there may be more restrictive rules - please read Sponsored Programs Requirements, including alcohol purchases on grants which are not allowed.

    In the event that a traveler has lost a receipt, a missing receipt affidavit signed by the traveler and school/division senior leader (Director of Administration, EAD, VP) will be allowed.  This should be in rare cases.  If you need assistance obtaining a missing receipt from a hotel or rental car company, TSS can help. 

    Please note:  The IRS does not accept credit card transactions as definitive proof of the travel expense. Scanned/imaged copies of original receipts must be obtained and filed with your expense report.  Once the scanned image(s) is viewed and appears legible, paper receipts can be discarded unless the travel affects a grant.  Paper receipts must be kept for grants five years after the end date of the grant being charged. 

Related Information



    missing receipt affidavit, receipts, travel policy, business expense reimbursement, per diem, receipts required, paper receipts discarded, affidavit for missing receipt