When to Use the Travel Expense Report Form
The Travel Expense form is used to reimburse travel expenses for students and guests. Paper reports can be sent to TSS with expenses in a foreign currency and the travel representatives will convert to US Dollars. It is recommended, however, that the expenses be converted to US Dollars so the approver is aware of the amount affecting their budget.
NOTE: Reimbursement is in the form of a check or EFT ( See Receiving Direct Deposit (EFT Payments). For those requiring a wire transfer in a foreign currency, this is available if the department pays the bank fee. It is important that the report be completed in a timely manner, usually within 30 days upon return of the trip. It is important to make sure the student or guest is in the system. Invite them to complete their tax information via PaymentWorks. Click here for a link to PaymentWorks.
Completing the Travel Expense Report Form First Section: Traveler Information
Section III - Employee Paid Expenses
- Traveler information: On the left hand side of this portion of the form enter Traveler's Name, Department Name, Department address, travel Destination and business Purpose of Trip. Use the check boxes to indicate if the traveler is a Tufts employee. On the right side of the form provide social security number of traveler, School/Division name, Campus Telephone extension and Dates of Travel.
- Preparer By: Provide name of preparer (even if same as traveler) and date the form was prepared
- Section III should be completed and submitted within 30 days of the traveler's return. On this portion of the form employees can get reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses. In the top part of this section (Part A) itemize all travel-related expenses incurred. On the lower part of Section III (Part B) itemize all business-related expenses incurred during travel.
- Preparers should enter the date of the expense, business purpose and type of expense (meals, supplies, etc.), where the expense/event was held, all the individuals attending the event and amount. If you are entering multiple expenses, use multiple lines and total the amounts in the bottom box. The university is a tax-exempt organization, therefore any sales tax that has been paid out of pocket will not be reimbursed.
- Chartfield and Accounting Information: On this line you will enter the Account and DeptID Code(s), and Project/Grant if applicable, that the expense should be charged to.
- Account: All external payments (to non-Tufts entities) will be in the 5xxx range of Account numbers. To find the appropriate 5xxx Account refer to the current listing by navigating through your computer's Start Menu via Tufts Services/ PeopleSoft/ COA Reports/Account.
- DeptID: Enter the 7 digit DeptID (department account). This represents the cost center that is responsible for the charge.
- Proj/Grant: If you are charging this expense to a sponsored grant or a capital project, enter the 6 digit Project/Grant code. The DeptID field would be completed with the linking DeptID (DeptID ending in 001).
- Prepaid expenses paid by/billed to Tufts Enter vendor name (Payee), Address, City/State/Zip and account coding Account (DeptID and Project/Grant) if applicable to be charged for the expense. All justifications and supporting documentation (receipts, brochures, etc.) should be included in the attached envelope. (If the individual added a new address in PaymentWorks that is different from what is on the form, AP will use the address from PaymentWorks. Exception – if special routing instructions are cited, see #6 below)
- Special Instructions to Accounts Payable This space can be used to communicate special instructions to AP, such as send check to traveler, hold until specific date, etc. If there are no instructions AP will follow payment method listed in #5 above.
- Signatures: requires signature of payee, a supervisor or manager of the funding source, and if over $5000 the Budget Center (if on deptid) or post award (if on a grant).