Payments to Study Participants
Rate this Article
First Published :Wed Sep 24 16:23:21 GMT 2014
Last Modified :Fri Feb 21 15:30:05 GMT 2020
Last Published :Fri Feb 21 15:30:05 GMT 2020
Most research studies need approval prior to the study being activated. Study approval protocol differs within each school therefore we ask that you contact your school administrative office for guidance.
Studies involving human subjects may need approval from the Institutional Review Board prior to the study starting. For more information, see the Institutional Review Board at Tufts Medical Center and Tufts University Health Sciences Campus website.
Once a study has been approved, established guidelines should be used to set up and properly monitor a study’s payments to the participants. Guidelines/Procedures for Study FundsProcedure: Once a study is setup determine the method of payment. All payments should be coded with account number 5136 (Volunteer Subject Payments).
Accounts Payable Checks AP issues checks to study participants when a PaymentWorks application has been completed. Dollar amounts that exceed the $600.00 1099 threshold usually get their funding in this method. The check voucher should be used and note the IRB# or study name.
1) Setup a log with the needed fields as shown in this sample log in a shared folder that the AP Manager, Provost’s Office and PI, along with their staff can access.
2) Submit to the AP Manager the required payment information.
3) AP will setup the vendors and institute payments as requested.
4) When study is completed, submit copies of completed log accompanied by the Principle Investigators (PI) signature or other person who had significant supervision during the study to the Provosts Office.
- Setup a log with the needed fields as shown in this sample log.
- Study participants will be given a payment slip at the end of their participation in the study to be cashed at either the Medford or Boston bursars office. Principal Investigators (PI) or other person who has significant supervision over the study should sign as approver on PC slip.
- When study is completed, submit copies of completed log accompanied by the Principle Investigators' signature or other person who had significant supervision during the study to the Provost's Office.
1. Setup a log with the needed fields as shown in this sample log.
2. Principle Investigator (PI) or other person who has significant supervision over the study should send an email to the AP Manager Maria Goncalves, copying James Walsh, indicating what the cash is for and what amount is needed. If after initial payment more funds are needed and the study is lengthy, the AP Manager will need a signed copy of the log of the monies spent before additional funds will be disbursed.
3. When study is completed, submit copies of completed log(s) accompanied by the Principle Investigators (PI) signature or other person who had significant oversight during the study to the Provosts office.
Pcard Usage for Gift Cards and or Store Cards
- Setup a log with the needed fields as shown in this sample log. Code all purchases on the pcard for the study to 5136 (Volunteer Subject Payments).
- Notify the Disbursement Compliance Analyst , Ellen Ziegler, of the need to use the pcard for study participant’s payments.Note what Vendor will be used, the dollar amount of each card and the total charge the Analyst will be expected to see on the pcard file.
- When study is completed, keep the signed log with the pcard reports that the gift card charges appear on and send a copy to the Provosts office.
stipends, volunteer subject payment, research study