TSS - Personal Data Change

Personal Data Change

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 5.00) Show Properties
First Published  :Wed Nov 26 04:06:25 GMT 2014
Last Modified  :Fri Apr 15 15:56:41 GMT 2022
Last Published  :Fri Apr 15 15:56:41 GMT 2022
Summary :  Reference for employees who have inquiries on how to process a legal name change. Audience: Employees


Primary Information

    Faculty & Staff:  For all legal name changes (aside from marriage and divorce done as a life event through the portal), please use this form and submit to TSS:
    Name Change Form

    There is a Tile in eServe called "Add Additional Names" but this is not currently functional. eServe must contain your Legal Name. See Preferred Name Change for information regarding some Tufts systems that do allow a Preferred Name. 

    Marriage and Divorce:  name change as part of a life event only need the Social Security card (not Name Change form) for name change or divorce decree.  After the form is processed through TSS, the name change will feed over to most Benefits vendors (such as Delta, BCBS, Fidelity, and TIAA) for actively participating employees . For former employees/retirees or for employees not currently participating in the retirement plans through Fidelity and TIAA, please report the name change (or address change) to vendors directly in those instances. However, note Prudential does not receive a feed from Tufts University, and does not keep record of individual employee names and addresses so there is no need to update with them (just make sure PeopleSoft is correct).

    Dependents: The names of Dependents can be changed in eServe. Go to "Dependents & Beneficiaries"-"Dependent & Beneficiary Information" and click on the Name, then Edit.
    Students:  To update SIS use the Student Name Change Form - then send to Student Services, Dowling Hall.  For legal name changes in eServe, you must also submit the Name Change Form to TSS.

    Please continue to use eServe for all address changes, unless it is a foreign address (which is managed by TSS) or SIS if for a student.  A student may also submit an email to studentservices@tufts.edu or visit the Student Services desk in Dowling.  See Personal Data Change article for changes other than name. 

    “Note for New Hires- Make sure you have completed your New Hire steps, including I-9 verification. Before requesting a Name Change. If you change your login information (User Name) after hire but prior to completing New Hire steps, you will need to start the New Hire process over again.
    *In order to process a Legal name change, you MUST provide a copy of your social security card, otherwise no change will be made.

    All other Employees of Tufts University can use Employee Self Service (eServe) to change some of their personal data, including Address, online. A Name Change and certain other fields (More information below) can only be done by contacting TSS.  Read the specific name change article for information pertaining to name changes.  

    Other Personal Information that can be updated through eServe includes Contact Information, Emergency Contacts,  Veteran Status, Race/Ethnicity, and Disability.  There is another screen called "Additional Information" which includes Gender, DOB, Birth Country, Social Security #, Original Start Date, Last Start Date, and Highest Education Level which cannot be updated here (note there is a separate tile for Education & Credentials on the main Employee Self Service Screen that the employee can update). TSS does not actually maintain the Birth Country nor Highest Education Level information and it cannot be modified, nor is it reported anywhere. Changes to Gender, Social Security #, Original or Last Start Date all need to be made by contacting TSS. 

    Names, Address, DOB, etc. changes for Active Employees go over to most Benefits Vendors on the Benefits File feed so must be updated in eServe first, either by the employee or by TSS. (Address can be updated by employee but Name or DOB must be updated by TSS).  See more information in Benefits Feeds.


Related Information

    See also Update My Information on AccessTufts or Legal Name Change on AccessTufts.

    Forms/Documents for Legal Name Change:
     Name Change Form  

    See also Preferred Name. If you use a first name that differs from your legal name, you have the ability to update it for general communications. As of now, your public safety ID card and Tufts User Name will not change. Your legal name will continue to be used in systems that require it, for example: financial records, government reporting, official University records, medical records.



    Personal data change, name change, legal name, new name, marriage, maiden name, address change, legal name change