TSS - Employment of Minors

Employment of Minors

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 0) Show Properties
First Published  :Wed Nov 26 21:43:08 GMT 2014
Last Modified  :Tue May 10 14:20:11 GMT 2022
Last Published  :Tue May 10 14:20:11 GMT 2022
Summary :  Reference for current employees, hiring managers, prospective employees, staff, faculty and students who have inquiries on the employment of minors. Audience: All Employees- Staff, Faculty, Students


Primary Information

    As a general rule, federal and state laws prohibit the University from employing any minor younger than 14 years of age. Broadly speaking, minors age 16 or 17 may perform most non-hazardous jobs, whereas minors age 14 and 15 are subject to greater limitations. Restrictions are further defined according to the minor's age. In particular, minors, regardless of age, are prohibited from working in any occupation declared "hazardous" by the Department of Labor. The Massachusetts Child Labor Law also restricts the types of jobs minors may perform. Of the occupations classified as "hazardous" by the DOL and therefore unavailable to minors, only three that are likely to implicate the potential employment of minors at Tufts: work involving driving a motor vehicle or being an outside helper on a motor vehicle and work involving exposure to radioactive substances
    Persons responsible for running University laboratories or other environments containing radioactive materials should ensure that minors, regardless of age or occupational designation, are not improperly exposed to radioactive substances. The University, as a practice, does not encourage the use of minors in research laboratories. However, if a manager is seriously considering such employment, that person should contact his or her Human Resources Business Partner, who can provide a more detailed explanation of the federal and state laws and guidelines, and required training.
    Note that minors must obtain a work permit, which should be retained in the Department.  Click here for information on how to get a work permit, etc.  A doctor or a parent will sign the form, then submit it to a Superintendent of Schools. The form directs the applicant to bring the signed work permit back to the employer who must keep it until the employee leaves the job.

    Additional resources can be found of the Department of Labor website.


Related Information






    employment of teenagers, minors, hiring minors, high school students