Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program Overview:
The university's Employee Tuition Reimbursement Program enables full-time staff to maintain or improve the skills they need to perform their jobs. The program covers tuition for courses or programs at accredited institutions other than Tufts University and must be related to your current job.
If you wish to take a course AT Tufts instead, read about our Tuition Remission program.
What Is Covered?If you are eligible, the university will reimburse 100% of approved tuition costs up to a maximum of $4,000 in a fiscal year (July 1 to June 30) for qualifying, job-related courses. The following are examples of courses or programs that qualify:
Please note: A course or degree program that helps to prepare you for a future job at Tufts or elsewhere will not qualify for tuition reimbursement.Allowable Reimbursement Costs:-This program reimburses eligible employees only for tuition expenses not covered by any other source of educational assistance.
- Regular courses taken for credit at accredited schools, colleges or universities
- Courses credited toward a high school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Correspondence, university extension, or continuing education courses
- Courses at certain non-accredited institutions provided they are widely recognized in their field and grant degrees or certifications indicating satisfactory completion
- Review courses and examinations for initial trade or professional license or certifications
- Job-related degree programs
Cost Not Covered:
-A loan which must be paid back by the employee is not considered financial aid.
Books, supplies and fees are not covered.
- Charges for lab, registration, graduation, library or student activities are not covered under this program. Acceptable Courses and Schools:
All Tuition Benefit Applications are subject to approval by tTufts Support Services. The following job-related courses and or programs are examples that are potentially eligible for reimbursement under this program:
- Regular courses taken for credit at accredited schools, colleges, and universities.
- Courses credited toward a high school diploma or equivalency certificate.
- Correspondence, university extensions, or continuing education courses.
- Courses at certain non-accredited institutions provided they are widely recognized in their field and
- Grant degrees or certification indicating satisfactory completion.
- Review courses and examinations for initial trade or professional licenses or certifications.
- Job related degree programs to current position, or for a related course in preparation for advancement in current field. (including approved elective degree courses)
The following do not qualify for tuition reimbursement:
- Professional seminars and workshops.
Approved course(s) and or program(s) are not to be taken during regular working hours. Class attendance should not conflict with your job in anyway.
Taxation of Reimbursement
Tuition reimbursement payments not considered taxable income
To be eligible for the program you must:
Application Process:Applications for Tuition Reimbursement must be submitted to Tufts Support Services no earlier than two months prior to the start of class, but no later than fifteen (15) days before the start of the class/program. The following three items are required for the application to be considered complete:· A completed Tuition Reimbursement Application (with supervisor’s signature) · Attach an official course description from the school website/catalog· Attach verification of the tuition cost (p/credit hour or per course – fees not covered) from the school website/catalog· Submit to: Tufts Support Services, 62R Talbot Ave, Medford MA 02155 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: https://tuftstss.force.com/
- Be actively employed as a Regular Full-time benefits-eligible staff employee
- Have completed one year of full-time service before the course begins
How to Get Reimbursed
Within 60 days of satisfactory completion of your course:· Employees must complete the Request for Payment form · Proof of payment of tuition charges (i.e. copy of a canceled check, credit card receipt, student account statement of charges and payments from the institution, etc.).· Proof of Satisfactory Course Completion. Satisfactory Course Completion means that the employee has achieved a passing grade or course certificate. These documents will be used as verification for course completion.· Submit to: Tufts Support Services, 62R Talbot Ave, Medford MA 02155 Email: email@example.com Web: https://tuftstss.force.com/ Requests for reimbursement will be processed and returned to the employee within a reasonable processing time. After processing is complete, reimbursement will be included in the employee’s paycheck. The maximum reimbursement per fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) is $4,000.00. The date of the actual reimbursement will determine the fiscal year to be affected.
Without the required attachments, a Request for Payment Form(s) will not be processed.