TSS - Information pertaining to W-4

Information pertaining to W-4

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 0) Show Properties
First Published  :Mon Jan 05 19:16:35 GMT 2015
Last Modified  :Wed Dec 20 18:43:26 GMT 2017
Last Published  :Wed Dec 20 18:43:26 GMT 2017
Summary :  Instructions for employees regarding W-4


Primary Information

    A W-4 form tells your employer the amount of Income tax to withhold from your paycheck. 
    There is no limit on the number of times you can update your W-4 in Employee Self Service.  Changes are never retroactive and will be effective immediately and reflected on the next paycheck provided the change is made prior to TSS running that payroll cycle.
    You can think of an allowance as a person.  That person can be yourself, your spouse, or your children and/or dependent(s).  An employee who claims “Single” are withheld at a higher rate than an employee who claims “Married.”  An employee who claims “Single Zero” has the most amount of tax withheld from their paycheck for that pay period.  The more allowances you claim, the less amount of tax is withheld from your paycheck.

    To update your W-4 through Employee Self Service, please follow the instructions below.
    Open Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.

    Go to
    https://hrss.uit.tufts.edu and select the Employee Self Service Login.

    Once on the Employee Self Service Login page, enter your User ID and Password.

    Click on Self Service on the left side of the page under Menu.

    Click on “Paycheck and Compensation” located in the top center of the page.

    Click on "W-4, W-2, W-2 Consent"
    Click on “W-4 Tax Information”

    This pulls up your current tax information. You can change your marital status and the number of allowances here to what you wish to claim, and click "submit" at the bottom of the page.

    If you want to claim more than 10 allowances, you will need to submit a paper copy to TSS.  TSS will update your W-4 information accordingly.

    If you are a faculty/staff claiming exempt from Income Tax you need to submit a paper form.  Students and temps can claim tax exemption online instead of a paper form.  Under the State section, they must put an “X” for Marital Status.A Foreign National will see the option to claim exempt, but this is actually not an option. A Foreign National can only be exempt from Income Tax if the Tax Treaty Analysis provides for it.

    The Home State for a Student will default to Massachusetts since this is intended to be the address in which work is performed and not the parents' or permanent address.
    If you are having technical difficulties, please contact Tufts Technology Services (TTS), they will be able to help. You can contact them at 617-627-3376 or through email at
    https://access.tufts.edu/get-work-done#It-request between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.


Related Information



    W-4 tax form, exemptions