TSS - Student Employment and Hours

Student Employment and Hours

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 2.50) Show Properties
First Published  :Sun Feb 01 21:45:14 GMT 2015
Last Modified  :Thu Jun 10 19:47:58 GMT 2021
Last Published  :Thu Jun 10 19:47:58 GMT 2021
Summary :  Information pertaining to student employment


Primary Information

    Student Employees:
    Information about posting student jobs, student pay rates, work hours, work study and other student employment policies can be obtained from the Student Employment Office. If a student is awarded College Work Study Program (CWSP) funds, the department pays 25% and the government pays 75% until the upper limit as put forth by student's financial aid award has been reached.  At that point, it is the department's responsibility to pay 100% of the salary (the department does not need to take action; once the government funds have run out they will automatically be charged to the department) .
    When the Administrator is hiring the Student in ePAF, he/she must choose the correct Job Code to designate whether it is Work Study (9000) or non Work Study (9001). Once the Job Code is selected during the ePAF hiring process, the corresponding  default Earnings Code will populate in Time Entry each week so that the hours are recorded as either Work Study (021- Hourly Student Wages) or Non-Work Study (012- Non-Work Study Wages).
    If you believe the Job Code needs to be changed later, follow these guidelines: 
    • If Work Study funds are simply exhausted, payment will automatically pull from the Dept ID rather than Work Study, so the Job Code does not need to be changed.
    • If Work Study funds are available but no longer should be utilized (going from Work Study to Non Work Study) and no Payment has been made yet, please Term and Rehire into the correct Job Code. If Payment has already been made, in addition to Terming and Rehiring you will also need to contact Christi Conkling in Student Services to process the retroactive Work Study adjustment.
    • If Work Study funds are available and should be utilized (going from Non Work Study to Work Study), and no Payment has been made yet, please  Term and Rehire the student using the correct Job Code. If Payment has already been made, in addition to Terming and Rehiring, you will also contact Christi Conkling in Student Services to process the retroactive Work Study adjustment.

     Please note that During the academic year students are allowed to work 20 per week.  In the summer and winter break students may work up to 40 hours.  The Fall work study period begins during the first week of classes. The Spring work study period ends on May 31; June 1st is the beginning of the Summer work period.  Hiring is done by the department through ePAF.  The ePAF manual and the New Hire Tip Sheet can be of assistance.

    If multiple Departments have hired the same student, they will need to coordinate with one another as to how much Work Study time is being used. If one Department will use Work Study and the other will not, the Department using Work Study will enter 9000 for the Job Code while the one not using Work Study will enter 9001. If both enter 9000, they will be sharing the Work Study benefit until it is exhausted and then both Departments will pay 100%.The employee cannot have two active 9000 jobs in the same home department (see KA Unable to Hire as Student/Temp in ePAF). 
    .  Also, the Departments are responsible for making sure the student does not exceed the hour maximums allowed for Students working amongst the multiple positions. Time Entry will show any Work Study balance available, even if the job in your Department is not using Work Study, but the Student has a Work Study job in a different TimeKeep. If your job is Work Study and there is another Work Study job, work with the Student and the other Department to determine how much should be used for each job. If no other Department is pulling from the Work-Study balance check in with the student, their manager and whomever manages the labor budget to see if it makes financial sense to recode the student as a Work-Study student.

    NOTE:  Effective 1/1/2021 student workers are now paid a minimum wage of $13.50 per hour.   The Department does not need to take any action, as anyone paid below the minimum wage will automatically be increased.But if the Department tracks students' earnings, they will see a shift in gross pay, and if they currently pay some students more than others based on experience they will want to make sure this minimum wage increase does not negate their efforts. If a Department would like to increase your students’ wages above the $13.50 they can do this in eServe.

    As of August 2018, Student Employment has transitioned the student employment jobs postings (work study and non-work study) from JobX to Handshake, partnering with the Medford Career Center to provide better services for students and staff. If you expect that you will need to post an on-campus student job this fall, please email student.employment@tufts.edu and let them know what Department you’re posting for and your position within the Department. Ideally each Department will have just one or two people with access to post.

    Questions about Work Study, Handshake, or other Student Employment questions can be sent to Student Employment at student.employment@tufts.edu or 617-627-2000. See also


Related Information

    Pay Rates

    Students are paid via Direct Deposit - see related Knowledge Article.




    student employment, hours, hourly students, pay cap, hourly limit, work study, CWSP, award limits, handshake