See the ePAF Manual for step by step instructions: Time Entry/ePAF. Make sure that if you are off campus, you are logged into the VPN to have full access. Also note that there may be issues using a Mac or certain browsers so you may need to try a Windows computer or alternate browsers.
Please note the changes that were made to the ePAF system on 12/8/2016: Updates to ePAF - 12/08/2016. And again on 4/13/2017. And again on 8/20/2017.
Taleo ID is used only by recruiters and does not need to be entered.
Mobile Phone must be entered using the international format, i.e. +1 for US numbers. For example, the number for Tufts Support Services would be entered as +16176277000.
Supervisor field must be entered but if you are unsure of the Supervisor, select the ePAF user entering the hire. All active individuals at Tufts are available to be selected as a supervisor for this field. If you cannot find the correct Supervisor listed, please note that the Supervisor must be a Tufts employee; cannot be a POI or a Contingent Worker. If the person entering the ePAF doesn’t know the employee ID they can change the "Search by" dropdown from Empl ID to Description, and then search by surname.
Address: if the field is grayed out (or if you do not know what the address will be) continue in the hiring process (leaving the information as is grayed out or if required, using a Department address as a placeholder) and the employee can update the address later once eServe access is available. The graying out happens if it has been less than 3 years since the employee last worked for Tufts or if the employee is still active.
If the employee has a foreign address, you can search for the country by clicking the magnifying glass and changing the dropdown menu to Description instead of Country, and then searching. Please note if the person is working abroad please do not process thru ePAF; contact TSS for further assistance
There are also some other common errors you might run across:
1. If you are trying to hire a temp in ePAF, and you receive a message that you can't because he/she is a student, this is because the person is still registered as a student within SIS. In order to hire as a temp, the person can no longer be listed as an active student. The appropriate school registrar will need to make the change before hiring is possible. If you need assistance with this, please contact TSS.
Typically this becomes a problem when a Student graduates and you are trying to terminate the Student Job and Rehire as a Temp. Since we cannot determine when the registrar will change the Student status to Inactive following graduation, we recommend that you wait until later in the summer to make the change, which gives time for the status to be processed with the registrar. Since Students and Temps are taxed the same during the summer, this will not be an issue until the Fall, when Student Workers will become exempt from FICA tax but Temps will be subject to FICA. So, if the former student is not going to work into the Fall, you do not have to do anything, but if he/she is no longer going to be a student, you must terminate the Student Job and hire as a Temp before school begins so that taxation is correct.
Additionally if you are trying to hire a Student through ePAF and there is "No Match" this is because they are not currently registered as s Student with the registrar. You can hire them as a Temp instead in this instance.
You cannot depend upon the White Pages/Directory to tell you if someone is a Student (this information is most current at the registrar's office and will feed over to ePAF but may be delayed).
2. Effective dates can only be up to 30 days in the past or 180 days in the future. Otherwise contact TSS for assistance with an effective date more than 30 days in the past.
3. If you do not know how to hire a Student for a one time payment: When hiring a Student for a Semi Monthly job that only requires one payment, we need to use whole pay periods, so always make the dates either the 1st of the month to the 15th of the month or the 16th of the month to the last day of the monht. The Job Code would be 9200 Tufts Contract Student and the Semimonthly rate would be the entire amount you would like to pay, since the job will only last one pay period.
4. The pay ranges that can be entered are as follows:
Contract/Salaried- $30-$3000 per pay period
Contact TSS to enter a rate outside of these parameters.
5. You cannot have the same Job Code multiple times within the same Home Department. You CAN have an hourly and a contract job in the same Home Department.
- If this error message shows up and it's a Contract Student, it is probably because the job already exists (check ePAF Data). If it's a different job, transfer to Tier 2.
- If it's an hourly job, contact whomever created the first job and ask that Timekeep to also enter the time for this 2nd job on a weekly basis (even though there will not be a separate record for the job in Job Data).
- Remember that a Student with Multiple Jobs should still not exceed 20 hours per week during an Academic period week or 40 hours per week during a semester break. It is up to both Supervisors to coordinate and make sure the hours are not exceeded.
6. A TEMP can only be paid Hourly, not Salaried.
7. If you are receiving an error on the birthdate and the hire is under age 15, you must enter an incorrect birthdate to reflect age 15 or older, then immediately email TSS to correct the birthdate
8. You cannot hire a current STAFF member as a TEMP using eReq. Instead, you need to talk to your HRBP to create an additional job for the Staff member, or if the system has somehow allowed a Temp job to be entered, please ask the HRBP to request that it be changed to a Secondary Staff job.
9. If there is an error message, "Standard Hours is a Required Field" but you are unable to enter the standard hours, because they are grayed out, this may indicate that the person is trying to enter a job that is already existing. Check the panel to see.