TSS - International Medical Coverage for Travel Abroad

International Medical Coverage for Travel Abroad

Rate this Article (Average Rating: 0) Show Properties
First Published  :Fri Mar 24 20:39:49 GMT 2017
Last Modified  :Tue Feb 05 02:38:35 GMT 2019
Last Published  :Tue Jan 02 18:23:41 GMT 2018
Summary : 


Primary Information

    See also Emergency Assistance while Traveling/ISOS and International Travel Registry

    Tufts University is proud to offer comprehensive Emergency Travel Medical Insurance for everyone traveling on a university-related international trip. 

    This insurance program is primary travel medical insurance coverage, and because of the relationship between International SOS (ISOS) and the insurance provider (Nationwide), responding to a health-related incident abroad is as easy as it gets. The plan covers medical expenses, including hospital room and board, inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, emergency outpatient care, labs and x-rays, inpatient and outpatient mental health, physician office visits and prescription drugs.

    If you need medical assistance abroad, simply call ISOS. ISOS will assess your medical need, make an appointment with a carefully vetted health care provider at your location, and also render necessary payments to the provider.  This makes the International SOS your “one-stop shop” for travelling abroad: from pre-trip security advice, to assistance with lost passports, to arranging and paying for emergency medical care abroad.

    All Tufts-Travelers on university-related international travel are eligible.  In order to confirm coverage, your trip must be registered with the Tufts Travel Registry. This will ensure that International SOS can verify that you are a Tufts traveler and entitled to this benefit.

    Plan Summary

    Insurance Provider: Nationwide
    Plan Administrator: Consolidated Health Plans
    Territory Restrictions: The following are excluded from coverage by this plan: The United States including the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and Cuba, unless the specific travel requirements are met as set by the U.S. Government and your home country

    Plan Design: The plan provides primary coverage benefits to a participant for a covered accident or sickness up to a $500,000 maximum per person per occurrence. Coverage will be provided as listed in the summary below.
    All coverages and Benefits are in U.S. Dollar Amounts:

    Accident and Sickness Medical Maximum:
    • Physician Office Visits
    • Hospitalizations
    • Diagnostic tests
    • Ambulance Services
    • Prescription Drugs
    • Mental Health
    • Emergency dental treatment for the relief of pain
    $500,000 per person per occurrence
    Deductible         $0
    Prescription drugs100% of the actual charge
    Pre-Existing Conditions LimitationsNone
    Accidental Death & Dismemberment$10,000 per Insured


    How do I enroll to receive medical coverage?
    In order to enroll, you have to register your trip in the Tufts Travel Registry.

    Who do I contact if I need help when I’m overseas?
    If you have an emergency please call the 24-hour International SOS (ISOS) Alarm Center (you may call collect): 1-215-942-8478 or 215-942-8226.   This includes both medical and non-medical emergencies. The Alarm Center is staffed by doctors, logistics coordinators and security experts. ISOS Alarm Centers can provide medical advice, refer and make an appointment at an available and approved clinic, render payment to your health provider as needed, or arrange for an evacuation.

    Who is eligible?
    You are covered under the plan if you are temporarily pursuing educational activities approved by Tufts University across the globe except for the excluded territories listed above. Additionally, your trip needs to be registered with the Tufts Travel Registry in order to confirm coverage.

    Do I get an ID card?
    You will not receive a separate medical insurance ID card.  You only need the ISOS Membership card which will be emailed to you upon your travel registration. You can also email Claudia Jackson  to receive a membership card in the mail prior to travelling. If needed, Consolidated Health Plans, the Claims Administrator, will confirm eligibility with Tufts after a claim is received.

    If I receive a bill for services I received, what should I do?

    If you are making your arrangements through ISOS, you will avoid receiving a bill for your services.

    If you did not use ISOS, you can still get reimbursed for any medical services you received while abroad.  When you submit claims for reimbursement, you will need to have the itemized bill(s) translated into English and include a letter informing the Claims Administrator that you are seeking reimbursement for charges previously paid.  Please ensure that your name, school, student ID, date of birth, and mailing address (to receive your reimbursement check) are on the bill. Below is the Claim Administrator’s address.

    Consolidated Health Plans
    2077 Roosevelt Ave
    Springfield, MA 01104
    If ISOS pays for my medical bills how is ISOS reimbursed?
    Consolidated Health Plans, the Claims Administrator, will reimburse ISOS directly. You do not need to submit any paperwork.

    Is any other information needed to pay a claim?
    If the treatment you received was a result of an accident, you might receive a letter from Consolidated Health Plans asking you for information about the accident, i.e. was it the result of a car accident, from playing sports, etc.  Your claim cannot be processed without this information, so please respond to the letter promptly.

Related Information



    Medical Coverage Abroad, International, Benefits