What kind of turn-around time can I expect from TSS?

Turnaround time depends on the nature and complexity of the request. Straightforward questions can often be answered within a single interaction while complex service requests may take two or more days to resolve.

Read more: TSS Services Offered

What should I do if I have a time-sensitive request?

If you have a time-sensitive issue, contact TSS by phone anytime between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and let us know you have an urgent request. TSS will handle your request promptly or forward it to the appropriate person who can.

What are the knowledge articles?

The knowledge articles on the TSS web portal provide information about many Tufts Human Resources and Finance transactional procedures. They are intended for anyone who wants to look something up or needs information after hours.

The best way to access the knowledge articles is to type a question or key words into the What would you like help with? field at the top of the TSS portal home page.

Every knowledge article gives you the chance to provide feedback, by rating it using the stars at the top of the page (1 star = poor; 5 stars = excellent), by answering the question, “Was this article useful?” and by typing comments in the field at the bottom of the page. TSS will use this feedback to improve the articles over time.

If you need administrative support with a human resources or finance transaction, we encourage you to contact TSS by phone, email or in person. In many cases we will be able to give you more details than those you will find in the knowledge articles and will often be able to handle your issue for you.

What happens if I call after hours?

TSS answers calls Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Outside of those times, phone calls to TSS are sent to voicemail. If you call after hours, leave a voicemail with your issue and contact information. TSS will create a case for you and a TSS staff member will follow up with you by phone or email during business hours.

Are calls to TSS recorded?

TSS does record inbound phone conversations and we also monitor some calls to ensure our staff provide a high level of service and provide accurate information.


What if TSS cannot resolve my issue right away? Can I look up the status of my case?

TSS assigns a case number to each service request it receives. When you contact TSS by email or through the Web portal, you will receive an email confirming your request and case number. You will receive another email when your case is resolved. If you call by phone, you can request a follow-up email with your case number.

If you have an open case with TSS, you can check its status online or by contacting TSS and providing your case number. A TSS staff member will look up the notes on your case, where it stands and which group is working on it. You can also log in to the TSS web portal and look up your case on the “My Requests” menu.

If my question is escalated to Tier 2 or 3, will I speak directly to the person who handles my case or does someone from Tier 1 talk to them on my behalf?

If your case is escalated to Tier 2 or 3, the group that is handling your case will follow up with you, but may not be available immediately, as their job functions include processing, data entry, and other responsibilities that may prevent them from taking a call. In addition cases that are escalated to Tier 2 or 3 are often more complex and will require additional research and handling time so we appreciate your patience as these groups work through the caseload.

You can check on the status of an open case at any time by going to the TSS web portal and selecting My Requests. There you can see if your case has been transferred to Tier 2 or 3, and if TSS is waiting for a certain piece of information in order to reach a resolution.

If I have an issue I know will need to be escalated, can I call someone in Tier 2 directly?

No. There is no direct line to Tier 2. One of the main purposes of TSS is to replace inefficient practices such as waiting to speak to a specific person when other, trained people are available to handle a request. The TSS staff is trained to forward any issues they cannot handle directly to the division or qualified individual who can. We can do this much more efficiently when all requests come in through the channels listed on the TSS portal home page.


What platform is TSS using to track cases?

TSS uses a constituent relationship management (CRM) system called Salesforce to track the status of the requests it receives. The CRM enables us to track our performance over time so we can continually improve our services.

We also use the CRM system to manage the knowledge articles on the TSS portal. As people open and rate the articles, the highest-ranked articles move to the top of search results. There is also a place to provide feedback at the bottom of each article. We use this feedback to make the articles as useful as possible.

How is TSS protecting private information?

TSS limits the personally identifiable information (PII) it stores in its CRM system to only what is necessary to manage a request. All TSS staff are bound by the safeguards outlined in Tufts’ Employee Handbook and Business Conduct Policy. In addition, TSS verifies a constituent’s identification anytime it receives a request or inquiry that involves PII.

Read more: Personnel Records

Will department heads receive information about what kind of questions TSS receives from their departments or teams?

TSS can provide metrics such as number of cases and case categories for specific divisions or schools, however, in keeping with the Tufts Business Conduct Policy, TSS will not discuss confidential information about a specific case with anyone other than the individual concerned.

Department heads and managers can request general information on the types of requests TSS receives from their teams by contacting one of the TSS leaders listed below.

Carol Liedes, Knowledge Manager, Support Services

Melanie Foley, Director of Community Support Services

Peter Barone, Director of Finance Support Services

Shelby Christian, Director of HR Operations


What is the relationship between TSS and Human Resources? Is Human Resources being subsumed into TSS?

Human Resources will remain its own division and work closely with TSS. Now that TSS is handling things like forms, approvals, and answering benefits questions, Human Resources has more time to focus on core functions such as employee relations, organization development, learning development and career paths.

Read more: How TSS Supports HR (“How to” video and transcript)

How will students interact with TSS?

TSS will provide student-employees with basic employment support related to their campus positions, such as processing and validating Federal I-9 forms. TSS recognizes and supports only student organizations supported by the Office of Campus Life or School Dean’s Offices. TSS will also process reimbursements and check voucher payments to students.

Student organizations that need budget support will continue to work with the Budget Center and follow existing policies and procedures. Tufts students will continue to receive student-focused, services not related to Human Resources or Finance through existing channels. For example, student registration will continue to be provided through SIS.

Who is handling recruitment and hiring?

Recruitment and hiring processes have not changed, nor have the roles and responsibilities of Human Resources and each department and school. TSS processes completed new-hire paperwork and works directly with new hires to complete the their I-9 forms.

Read more: New Hire Process
I-9 Employment Verification Process

What role does TSS play in onboarding new employees?

TSS processes new employee Personnel Action Forms (PAFs) and ePAFs submitted by recruiters, the Offices of Faculty Affairs, or the Department Administrators.

TSS also processes I-9 forms. All new employees should visit a TSS walk-in center within three business days of their start date so we can verify their I-9 documentation.

Read more: New Hire Process
Personnel Action Form (PAF)
I-9 Employment Verification Process

Who initiates the hiring process now, our department or TSS?

Departments and schools should continue to initiate the hiring process and seek help from Human Resources as needed to prepare the job description, set the salary level and manage other aspects of the hiring process.

Has time entry moved to TSS?

Anyone who submits paper timesheets should now send them to TSS at Otherwise, time entry has not changed. You should continue to follow your department’s time entry process.

Read more: Timekeeping

Should I call TSS for help with leave administration?

TSS can help you initiate your leave request. We will document the fact that you are interested in a leave of absence and provide you with the initial Leave Request Form then forward a case to the leave specialist in Human Resources who can help you.

Read more: Leaves of Absence


How is travel being handled? Where do I submit receipts?

There are two ways to schedule travel. You can contact TSS and we will book your travel for you or you can use the self-service options on the Tufts Travel Portal. If you book travel through TSS, we will ask you to fill out a Travel Booking Intake Form with your travel dates and trip description. Our primary method to book travel is through The Travel Collaborative, a university-approved third-party travel agency.

You also have options when you return from your trip. You can complete a Travel & Business Expense Intake Form and send it with your receipts to TSS. The staff will use Apptricity to generate an expense report and route it through the approval system back through the traveler. The second, frequently used option is to submit your own expense report to Apptricity.

Read more: Employee Travel Overview
"How to Book Travel" (video and transcript)
Travel Authorization and T-Numbers

I’ve always booked my own travel. Can I continue to do that?

You can continue to book your own travel through the Tufts Travel Portal and submit expense reports through Apptricity. The difference is that you now have the option to submit expense reports through TSS. If you choose to use TSS when you return from your trip, complete a Travel & Business Expense Intake Form and send it with your receipts to TSS.

Read more: "How to Book Travel" (video and transcript)
Tufts Travel Agencies, Hotel & Rental Car Contracts

Has the approval process for travel changed?

The preapproval process for travel described in the Tufts Travel Policy remains the same. Before traveling, all travelers must receive the approval of their direct supervisor or financial/budget officer.

At the end of a trip, travel expenses must be approved and signed by the traveler and approved by the traveler’s immediate supervisor or their designee.

Read more: Travel Authorization and T-Numbers

Will TSS be able to handle complicated international travel requests?

TSS staff includes individuals with extensive experience arranging international travel and work closely with The Travel Collaborative, a travel agency that specializes in complex domestic and international travel.

If you know you will be travelling abroad, contact TSS well in advance of your departure date and provide as much information about your itinerary as you can. This will help us organize a successful trip, including international SOS registration for overseas travel.

Can department admins set up travel or submit expense reports for another person in their department?

Yes, it is possible for administrators to serve as proxies for faculty and supervisors to arrange travel and submit expense reports.

Can I get reimbursed for tolls charged against my transponder?

Yes. The easiest way to get reimbursed for tolls is to fill out a Travel & Business Expense Intake Form. Indicate that your transponder was charged and you do not have a receipt. Be sure to include the amount of the toll charged or the points at which you entered and exited the toll road.

If you want to download a receipt for charges to your transponder, log in to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation’s EZ Pass website and look up the charges against your account.

How do I submit travel expenses for students and guests?

Follow the process for non-employee travel described in the Tufts Travel Policy. This includes obtaining a Travel Authorization number (T-Number) before the travel date and arranging travel through one of the Tufts-approved travel agencies. Whenever possible, a Tufts employee should use his or her corporate card to prepay expenses such as airfare and hotel to minimize out-of pocket expenses for the student or guest.

If your guest has out-of pocket expenses, a paper report needs to be completed. Contact TSS if you need help preparing the report.

Read more: Guest Travel Overview
Student Travel Overview
When to Use the Travel Expense Report Form

What should I do if my travel is expensed against a grant? Is there a process for pre-approving grant-funded travel?

Tufts’ existing policy on Travel on Sponsored Projects remains in effect. Any department that receives a grant is responsible to conform to university policies as well as any grant restrictions. Recording grant expenses for travel should follow standard practices. TSS can assist with booking grant airfare and preparing and submitting expense reports. We suggest coordinating international travel with your grants administrator prior to the trip, to ensure allowability. Reports affecting international travel on grants will be approved by Sponsored Programs Accounting.

Read more: Grant Travel (Travel on Sponsored Grants)

Does TSS have checks and balances to identify unapproved expenses that are not accounted for?

When using a Tufts Travel MasterCard, each charge needs to be reconciled as a university or personal expense (for instance, an in-room movie or fitness center charge are personal expenses that may be included in a hotel bill). TSS can identify allowable university expenses. For all expenditures that are outside our procurement systems, TSS needs to rely on the individual to identify the expense.

Ultimately, each individual is responsible to monitor their expenditures and submit only approved expenses for reimbursement. If you have a Tufts Travel MasterCard, please note that your expenses and accompanying documentation may be audited by an internal or external auditing process.

Read more: Business Expense Guidelines

How is TSS handling ad hocs?

TSS has the ability to hard code one name into the Apptricity system. The knowledge article on ad hoc approvers (link below) describes our current process.

Read more: Ad Hoc Approvers

What happens when someone submits expense receipts to TSS? Does their manager receive a copy of the report?

Yes. TSS generates expense reports in Apptricity and sends it to the individual who submitted it for approval. The approval processes in Apptricity are the same as they were before TSS launched.


Can I order specific items that I need through TSS?

In most cases, TSS can provide administrative support for purchasing, including researching vendors and costs and submitting an electronic requisition (eReq) on your behalf.

If you have a complex order or need to purchase a restricted item, contact Purchasing.

Read more: Purchasing Policies & Guidelines
“How to Make a Purchase Through TSS” (video and transcript)
Restricted Commodity Purchases

Does TSS handle purchases that can be made on a Pcard?

The most efficient way to make a below-threshold purchase ($5000 or less) is with a procurement card (Pcard). If, for some reason, you cannot or do not want to make a purchase with a Pcard, contact TSS and we can process the purchase for you.

Read more: How to Obtain a Procurement Card (PCard)
Procurement Card (PCard) Uses and Restrictions

Can I still use Marketplace, Pcards and eReqs to make purchases?

Yes. Tufts staff, faculty and researchers can continue using Marketplace, P-cards and eReqs in the same manner they did before TSS went live.

Read more: Procurement Card (PCard) Uses and Restrictions
Obtaining Access to Marketplace
Obtaining Access to eReq

We have a purchase order that is above threshold. Should we work with TSS or purchasing?

In general, for purchases above threshold, TSS is always willing to assist in compiling the necessary information required by Purchasing. Purchasing will be the final approver of all purchases over threshold. The role of TSS in this case is to assist in the due diligence and documentation process and to create the electronic requisition for you.

Read more: Information about the Purchasing Office at Tufts University

Our group has to comply with government regulations in our hiring and spending practices. Who will help us with this?

Your HR Business Partner and Purchasing staff will continue to work with you to comply with government regulations on hiring and spending. The approval processes are the same as they were before TSS.



Apptricity is an e-Expense app that allows you to add receipts to your expense report with an iPhone, iPad or Android-enabled smartphone. You first need to create an expense report using the web application ( If you use pre-trip approvals, an expense report is automatically created once the pre-trip is approved.

Read more: e-Expense @ Tufts


Capital Expenditure Authorization

Read more: Capital Expenditure Authorization (CEA) Process


Tufts' online Electronic Requisitioning System

Read more: Obtaining Access to eREQ


A Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) is someone in HR who understands and partners with schools to make strategic decisions about employment, performance, position changes and organization design activities. HRBPs focus on complex work such as employee relations, career counseling, recruitment and hiring processes.


Tufts Marketplace is a one-stop, one login shopping process. You can place orders and “check out” with the ability to allocate charges to your dept-ids or grants, in accordance with your specific, authorized profiles.

Read more: Tufts Marketplace & Electronic Requisitioning System


Tufts has a variety of Personnel Action Forms to update faculty and staff employee records and process activity related to employment changes. Such changes include promotions, transfers, hour changes, leaves of absence, and separation from the University.

Read more: Processing Employee Changes

PeopleSoft HRMS

PeopleSoft Human Resources is a web-based application that employees can use to access their time entry, ePAF, time-off tracking, etc.

Read more: Using PeopleSoft HRMS

PeopleSoft Finance

In order to make a payment or place an order with a supplier, the individual/company must first be added to PeopleSoft Finance system. The requirements differ depending on status.

Read more: PeopleSoft Financials Portal
Suppliers in PeopleSoft


The PCard is a university-approved credit card intended to provide a simple, efficient, cost-effective means of purchasing low dollar items ($5,000.00 or less).

Read more: Procurement Card Policies & Procedures
How to Obtain a Procurement Card (PCard)


Travel Authorization Numbers are a way to minimize out-of-pocket expenses for non-employees (students and guests) who travel. The associated department is responsible for obtaining at T-number before the travel takes place.

Read more: Travel Authorization and T-Numbers